At Trane TechnologiesTM and through our businesses including Trane® and Thermo King®, we create innovative climate solutions for buildings, homes, and transportation that challenge what’s possible for a sustainable world. We're a team that dares to look at the world's challenges and see impactful possibilities. We believe in a better future when we uplift others and enable our people to thrive at work and at home. We boldly go.
This role is eligible to sit Hybrid out of our Davidson, NC or San Diego, CA office at least three days a week.
The Trade Compliance Specialist – ITAR Export Controls Americas will ensure we align with export compliance laws at our locations in the Americas region by leading all aspects of operational trade activities and partnering with GTC Functional and Regional Leadership to implement our trade compliance strategy. You will establish and deploy localized operational policies/procedures, serving as the subject matter authority for all ITAR-Export control compliance matters within the GTC Americas organization, driving effective freight forwarder management, analyzing all risks and optimization opportunities, training of cross functional partners, and supervising local business issue resolution strategies.
- Deploy the strategic development, delivery and execution of a standardized, compliant export compliance program to support the enterprise in coordination with the Sr. Manager of Trade Compliance - Exports.
- Develop and enhance export control program for the Americas, ensuring proper oversight and prioritizing areas of greatest risk.
- Build localized operational export procedures and ensure local business awareness and compliance with the export regulatory requirements for the Americas.
- Engage with regional senior leaders on strategies and initiatives that affect export compliance and where trade matters may impact strategy.
- Apply advanced knowledge of export regulations and requirements to support regional business requirements.
- Establish and maintain relationships with internal functions to encourage awareness of compliance issues. Provide subject matter expertise on government agencies data interpretation and designation, documents requirements, export licensing requirements, commodity jurisdiction submissions, CCATS submissions, documentation, valuation and reporting.
- Communicate directly with site managers and freight forwarders to lead and provide solutions to ensure compliance with all local and international export regulatory requirements.
- Support internal audits of the company's export, sanctions or boycott compliance activities as needed.
- Based on audit findings, this role will oversee root cause analysis and lead resolution of export compliance issues as needed.
- Support Export Compliance training for the regional area of responsibility.
- Stay current in international Trade Compliance regulations, policies, training, audit programs and Trane Technologies corporate Trade Compliance initiatives.
- Determine Export Control Classification Numbers (ECCN’s) with support from Engineering. Liaise with New Product Development (NPD) teams to ensure timely ECCN assignment for new product launches and introductions.
- Oversee issuance and administration of Export Power of Attorney and/or Written Authorization for EEI filings on behalf of Trane Technologies legal entities as applicable .
- Audit Electronic Export Information (EEI) filings on an ongoing basis to ensure accuracy in filing, with a particular focus on routed transactions and transactions requiring an export license. Issue audit findings report and track corrections required until resolution.
- Develop and provide training regarding routed export transactions.
- Oversee Deemed Exports program development and enhancement.
- Identify the requirement for and obtain technology transfer licenses as needed.
- Administer and oversee Redesigned Simplified Network Application Process (SNAP-R) system on behalf of Trane Technologies legal entities, including submission and administration of license applications and Commodity Classification Automated Tracking System (CCATS) submissions as needed.
- Respond to Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) inquiries or audits as needed.
- Support duty drawback program submissions from an export perspective.
- Research trade regulations and rulings, determine regulatory or interpretive basis for each and communicate with internal clients and external service providers.
- Provide guidance to internal stakeholders on export compliance matters as needed.
- Develop the company's export trade compliance policies in coordination with the goals and objectives of the Sr. Manager of Trade Compliance - Exports.
- Oversee the export compliance recordkeeping program and reconciliation, organization and maintenance on an ongoing basis.
- Monitor and manage daily export compliance related to international transaction holds, reviews and information needed to ensure business continuity without disruption while ensuring compliant transactions.
- Responsible for identification of areas for process improvement in the daily resolution of trade compliance related international transaction holds and issues.
- Lead projects as needed.
- Oversee the development, implementation and update of standard operating procedures and work instructions to support functional area of responsibility as needed.
- Stay abreast of all issues and regulations that impact export compliance activities through trade publications, communications with service providers and regular reviews of the appropriate government websites and trade association memberships.
- Liaise with internal departments across business units on regulatory and duty matters as needed.
- Perform other duties associated with trade compliance as may be required maintaining a customer-focused attitude and assisting the Sr. Manager of Trade Compliance - Exports.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (e.g., international trade, supply chain, logistics)
- 5+ years of experience in export compliance and international trade operations
- Detailed proven hands on experience in U.S. federal export agencies, customs administration, Foreign Trade, Customs Law, Tariff Codes, OFAC, EEI filings, export licensing, federal trade regulations, BIS, encryption regulations and ITAR compliance.
- In-depth knowledge on export regulations and requirements as well as operationalization of the same.
- Knowledge and experience with U.S. and Canadian export regimes. LATAM export experience preferred.
- Fluency in English language is required, additional fluency in a second language (Spanish and/or Portuguese) is preferred.
- Demonstrated Excel proficiency
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong excel and data analytics capability
- Strong project management and computer skills (emphasis on Microsoft Office programs) are required.
- The ability to function both as a team and individual hands on player with the ability to shift priorities as required by the global trade compliance team and business operations.
- Proven ability to define performance metrics and evaluate internal and external service providers.
- Demonstrated skills in resolving complex business challenges.
- The ability to work independently from broad guidelines and perform under detailed instruction on specific initiatives and long-term strategic objectives.
- Strong analytical skills, be detailed oriented, and possess the ability to anticipate problems and diffuse situations.
- The ability to multi-task and ability to work under time constraints and business priorities.
- Working knowledge of Oracle and trade compliance software is preferred.
- Subject Matter expertise in relevant areas of trade compliance (export regulatory compliance with all relevant U.S. federal agencies, export licensing requirements, local export regulatory requirements in the Americas) is required.
- Industry recognized licenses or certifications preferred.
Base Pay Range: $60,000-$90,000.
Disclaimer: This base pay range is based on US national averages. Actual base pay could be a result of seniority, merit, geographic location where the work is performed.
We offer competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits and programs. We are an equal opportunity employer; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, pregnancy, age, marital status, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any legally protected status.