This article explains what a Export Compliance Officer job description may look like
The Export Compliance Officer is responsible for ensuring that a company's export activities comply with all applicable laws, regulations, and policies. They must have a thorough understanding of export controls and regulations, including the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), and other relevant laws and regulations. They work closely with cross-functional teams to develop and implement export compliance programs and processes that meet regulatory requirements and minimize the risk of non-compliance.
- Develop and implement an export compliance program to ensure compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Conduct regular audits and assessments of export activities to identify areas of non-compliance and implement corrective actions as needed.
- Manage the classification of products and technologies to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Prepare and submit export license applications and other required documentation to government agencies.
- Monitor changes in export regulations and requirements, and update internal policies and procedures as necessary.
- Provide training and guidance to employees on export compliance requirements and best practices.
- Maintain and update compliance records and documentation in accordance with regulatory requirements.
- Investigate and report any suspected violations of export regulations to management and regulatory agencies as required.
- Interface with government agencies, such as the Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) and the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC), as necessary to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Support internal and external audits and investigations related to export compliance.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Business Administration, International Trade, or related field.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of experience in export compliance or related field.
- Expert knowledge of export regulations, including EAR, ITAR, and other relevant regulations.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to identify and resolve complex compliance issues.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams and stakeholders.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects and priorities simultaneously.
- Experience with export compliance software and tools is preferred.
- Knowledge of foreign trade zones and free trade agreements is a plus.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information with discretion.
- Professional certification in export compliance, such as Certified Global Trade Compliance Specialist (CITCS), is preferred.